The fall deadline for tutor applications has passed.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a tutor. Be sure to review the responsibilities and qualifications for the role before you submit an application.
The five main responsibilities for all tutors include:
- Meet with students promptly at pre-scheduled times and locations.
- Help students master course material by coaching them to independently complete their assignments.
- Maintain current and accurate records of the hours you’ve worked and submit them to Student Academic Success on a weekly basis.
- When possible, provide 24 hour notice if you are unable to keep an appointment and reschedule it promptly.
- Review the Tutor Manual and sign the confirmation form to indicate that you understand the material.
Some prior knowledge of tutoring and teaching techniques is preferred, but not required. You must meet the following requirements to become a tutor:
- Current student at GW with an active GWid and GW e-mail address.
- Have taken and earned a B+ or higher in the courses that you are interested in tutoring.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.40.
If you meet these requirements and feel confident that you can take on the responsibilities, please submit an application. If you have a Federal Work Study award you are eligible to become a tutor and are encouraged to apply.
Returning tutors are paid $14.50/hour and new tutors are paid $12.50/hour. Tutors who facilitate sponsored group sessions can earn up to time and a half for each hour of group tutoring.
Your cumulative GPA, availability, resume, letter of recommendation, name of a person who can be a reference, and a copy of your unofficial transcript from GWeb are all needed to complete your application. Please save your resume and transcript in separate Microsoft Word 1997-2003 (.doc) documents.
Tutors are required to attend all training sessions provided by or recommended by the GW Tutoring Initiative/STEMworks throughout the academic year. Tutors will be notified of these sessions as they are scheduled.
OFFICE FOR DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
OFFICE OF THE PROVOST
812 20th Street NW
Washington, DC 20052